How safe is Unisom for insomnia and restless leg syndrome during pregnancy?

I am 31 weeks pregnant and was wondering about the safety of taking Unisom (doxylamine succinate, not the gel caps) at night to help with insomnia and restless leg syndrome. I took it during 1st and second trimester ( a few times a week) but I have heard conflicting opinions about taking it in the 3rd trimester and how often is safe. Is unisom totally safe for my baby and how often is safe to take it?
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 43 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Doxylamine is also indicated for pregnancy associated nausea and vomiting.

It comes under category A for Pregnancy (US FDA), which means that controlled studies in women fail to demonstrate a risk to foetus during 1st trimester and there is no evidence of risk during 3rd trimester. Thus possibility of fetal harm remains remote with this drug.

Thus if prescribed by your Physician/Gynecologist, can be taken 30 minutes before going to bed whenever required.

Thanks for trusting XXXXXXX and posting your query.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Dr.Chandra Shekhar Sharma