How safe and effective is Garcinia Cambogia?

How safe and effective is Garcinia Cambogia? Are there any side effects or interactions with other medications? I am currently taking HCTZ & Cardizem for blood pressure, occasional Alprazolam for anxiety. Also do you have to follow a certain diet and avoid certain foods/drinks while taking Garcinia Cambogia?
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Garcinia Cambogia fruit,juice,extract-safe to use. Detailed Answer: Hi, - If you are using Garcinia Cambogia extract for weight loss purposes, studies have concluded that it worked in helping patients to lose weight. - With regards to side effects, it can cause headache and intestinal problems (nausea, discomfort). - Regarding the interactions with other drugs including HCTZ and Cardizem and Alprazolam, no research has shown such interactions yet. If you experience anything unusual, please stop using it, and refer to your doctor. - If you are referring to the fruit or juice, they are healthy choices to be followed, and I'd encourage to use them as there is no side effect and no interaction. Hope it answered to your questions. If you have more concerns, feel free to write me back. Dr.Sejdini
Follow-up: How safe and effective is Garcinia Cambogia? 2 hours later
Do you know of any foods and or beverages to be avoided while taken this? And do you recommend the juice or pill?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Recommend if other methods fail to lose weight Detailed Answer: Hi, For the moment being, there is no food or beverages to be avoided while taking this. To my self-experience, the native South-East-Asians use this fruit not only for culinary purposes but as medicinal use too due to its anti-oxidant properties (called also fat-burner). Its rind (dried with tamarind taste) is often used as well as its extract is taken from the rind too (rich in HCA - hydroxycitric acid = fat burner) to prepare various supplements. I'd recommend its use for weight loss purposes only if you failed other alternatives (diet, exercise, etc.). Hope it answered your question! If you have more concerns, feel free to write me back! I'd be glad to answer you! Dr.Sejdini