How reliable is non fasting lipid panel?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
How reliable is a non-fasting lipid panel? My 13 yr old daughter had one and her values were: TC - 183 HDL - 67 Triglycerides - 304 LDL - 55 TC/HDL - 2.7 All values normal except elevated Tri. Would a fasting test be a better indicator of risk? Is this classic Type IV Hyperlipemia?
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Should repeat&do fasting lipid profile testing... Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, If the test she did was not fasting, then, I'd suggest to repeat it again but this time fasting. Ask her to eat a light dinner at 8 pm. and the next morning around 8 or 9 am she should draw blood to repeat the test. If the fasting lipid profile testing will be high again, then, should further evaluate her situation. Please bare in mind that lipid changes are seen often in adolescents due to hormonal changes and they are quite normal. All the best! Dr.Bardha