Ask a Dentist   »  

How painful will needle less injection for gum to do filling be when compared to cleaning teeth?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Hi Doctor,

Sorry for a lame question. But I haven't been to dentist for 20 years and never to filling before, the idea of going to Dentist always scares me.

I heard about this needle less injection for the gum to do filling / extraction. But when I ask about it the Doctor just say that he will use some kind of gel before the injection. I wondering how pain is it compare when the Doctor did cleaning on my teeth..

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 33 minutes later

Thanks for sending the question. It is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

First, I would like to assure you that nowadays there is minimal or no pain during dental procedures.
The needle less injection is a concept which is still in its earlier stages and is not commonly used. The gel which your dentist has mentioned is a local anesthetic gel which numbs the gum around the tooth to be treated. Once the gum is numb then the patient does not feel the prick of the needle.
The needles used are extremely thin gauged needles which are almost painless.

The discomfort is slight and is comparable to the cleaning procedure. If it is just a shallow filling then you may not need an injection. During an extraction after the anesthetic application there is no sensation so there is absolutely nothing to worry over.

I am quite certain that your dentist will make your visit comfortable.

Do write to us if you have any more queries. I would be happy to help you out.

Follow-up: How painful will needle less injection for gum to do filling be when compared to cleaning teeth? 3 hours later

Really appreciate your reply. It is very comforting. It ease my mind now . Have good day for you :)

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 38 minutes later

I am glad I could be of some help. If you have any dental queries in future, please post for my attention. You may want to close this discussion now.

Have a good day.