How often will a newborn baby pass stools? What should be the color and odor of the stools?
User rating for this question
My baby is 17 days old and we stay in a hot humid place where the temperature is around 35 c. How often should the baby pass stool and what should be the color, odour, Consistency of the stool. Baby had mild jaundice on the second day after delivery and phototherapy was given only for 2 hours on the same day, Jaundice was reduced later. Very mild yellowishness is seen on sclera, How long will it take to go back to normal? Also can mother have normal food like ice cream, Chocolate, Non veg etc?
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. I understand your concern. First, I congratulate you on arrival of new family member. Some babies pass several motions per day up to 8 to 10, soft in consistency and not smelling strong. Some pass stools after 2 to 3 days but soft in consistency. Most important is that baby should be active/accepting feeds regularly/passing urine 8to 10 times a day. Regarding jaundice, it is physiological jaundice and it takes few days to get cleared. Mother can have normal diet including lots of fruit,juices,milk and vegetable soup cereals. She should avoid gas forming food items in her diet. I do not suggest taking ice cream. Chocolates can be taken sometimes. Hope I have answered your query, let me know if I can help you further. Wishing your baby good health. God bless....
People also viewed
- Difficulty passing stool newborn
- Going off birth control depression
- Chicken injections for knee pain
- Stool softeners and stool color
- Rbc values in stool
- What causes greenishyellow stool with difficutly in passing stools
- Painful to pass stools blood in stools what to do
- Rash spreading on toddler
- Newborn could not pass stool
- Does metformin cause kidney stones
- Stomach virus with a rash
- Disadvantages of the contraceptive implant
- Recofast syrup is for
- Typical hcg levels in pregnancy
- For what is recofast syrup used