How often should I undergo gastroscopy when suffering from gastritis with hiatus hernia?

Hi, I would like to know if the taking of biopsies from the stomach area during gastroscopies increases the risk of later problems developing. In the case of confirmed gastric reflux and gastritis with hiatus hernia, how often should the gastroscopy be repeated to check for any problems? Also, in taking rabeprazole for the problem, is there any point in taking this only a 3-5 days at a time every month whenever symptoms arise (which then resolve quite quickly) or would it be better to take it for a few weeks at a time?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Rapeprazole therapy depend on clinic.&endoscopy... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for sharing your concern with XXXXXXX No, there is no later problem coming from taking biopsies from the stomach apart light bleeding which will stop on its own. Usually, gastroscopy is repeated 6 weeks after the treatment is initiated to evaluate the efficacy of the treatment. After this time, the gastroscopy is scheduled after 1 year. However, everything depends on the biopsy results where the type of gastritis is determined and if H.pylori positive. With regards to the treatment with rabeprazole, please take note that you should finish the therapy initiated as prescribed by your doctor. After the clinical and endoscopy re-evaluation, your GI specialist will decide whether to start another course of treatment or to stop it. If the symptoms will re-appear after the therapy, it is advised to start antiacids and rabeprazole for up to 10 days. At the end, you should first go for a full course of rabeprazole (up to 1-2 years depending on your doctor's decision as mentioned earlier). Then, if you stop the medicine, and symptoms re-appear, can restart either full course or up to 10 days course. It is not advised to take it few days for every months to avoid side effects. Hope it answered to your query! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have! Dr.Klerida
Follow-up: How often should I undergo gastroscopy when suffering from gastritis with hiatus hernia? 56 minutes later
Dear Dr. Klerida, Thanks very much for your explanation, I understand that the treatment depends on the results of my gastroscopy and have included the reports here. Would appreciate it if you could look through the results. I was prescribed rabeprazole only for 6 weeks initially. Could you please explain why a ten-day course is less likely to have side effects than the shorter 3-5 day course? Thanks, Regards.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Reports show first stages of esophagitis/gastritis Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for following up. I have read your reports and fortunately, your problems have been caught in time (grade A esophagitis and gastritis). I am sure that after the first course of rabeprazole, you will see improvement (in 6 weeks time). I want also to remind you to be careful in foods you eat and drinks you take to have a fast recovery. With regards to my earlier statement of not taking rabeprazole for 3-5 days each month but as a course to up of 10 days; I'd add as following: the goal is to achieve the maximum effect in a short term period. The side effect mentioned earlier is referring to the "non having good effect" of the drug. In other words, I strongly recommend to take the drug for up to 10 days if the symptoms will be repeated after the first 6 weeks to get the maximum effect without precipitating in treatment failure. If still no improvement after 10 days, then should re-evaluate the situation by your GI specialist. Hope it answered to your query! Dr.Klerida
Follow-up: How often should I undergo gastroscopy when suffering from gastritis with hiatus hernia? 13 hours later
Dear Dr. Klerida, Thanks for the explanation. The gastroscopy was done 6 months ago and I did take the rabeprazole at that time but have taken it for just 5 days a month ago as some of the symptoms appeared to re-appear. I understand that the benefit of a 10 day course is just to ensure a better recovery, which will lessen the likelihood of having to repeat any taking of the medication. In future, I will take the rabeprazole for ten days. Thanks, Regards.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Keep scheduled following-ups with GI spec... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for following up. Once again, I'd like to advise to always follow the directions of your GI specialist. I am glad to come to know that you have been recovered since 6 months ago. However, I strongly suggest to keep following up with GI specialist as scheduled or when symptoms re-appear. At the end, if you go for another rabeprazole therapy, should continue for at least 10 days or as prescribed by your doctor. Happy to have assisted you! Dr.Klerida If you are satisfied with my answer, please close this thread and kindly give a positive feedback by rating it. Thank you!