How often does a pregnant teen need to go to a doctor? What are the reasons?

I am doing a school project on teen pregnancy, and I need to know how often a pregnant teen needs to go to the doctor? And what are the reasons why?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Teen Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A teen pregnancy is a high risk pregnancy and needs regular antenatal visits to a doctor. Usually it is advised that a teen would be mother should visit her doctor every four weeks during first and second trimester and then every fortnight till 36 weeks. After that weekly visits are needed. This frequency of visits might be altered depending on an individual case.
These visits are needed to screen for any possible complications regarding the mother and any growth retardation in the baby.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: How often does a pregnant teen need to go to a doctor? What are the reasons? 8 hours later
What kind of supplements would she have to take? And how about diet, what should she remove or add to her diet?
Thank you so much for your answer!!!!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The nutritional supplements that she needs include-
1. A high protein diet- XXXXXXX in pulses, cereals, eggs, fish, etc.
2. A high calcium intake- like milk, milk products, eggs, bajra, ragi, etc.
3. Eat fiber XXXXXXX fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and avoid foods which are not easily digestible and fatty foods
4. Have six small meals instead of 3 large meals
5. Drink plenty of fluids
6. Go for regular Brisk walks for 30 to 40 minutes daily.
7. Take regular iron , calcium and DHA supplements as prescribed by the gynecologist.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.