How often can a patient with MS get a shot of Solumedrol?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
how often can a patient with ms get a shot 125mg solumedrol?
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Multiple Sclerosis

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. For multiple sclerosis, solumedrol (methylprednisolone) is used for treating acute relapses. For that, we use 500-1000 mg once daily for 3-5 days. This course can be repeated after one month, if there is a new relapse of symptoms. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: How often can a patient with MS get a shot of Solumedrol? 14 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX I tried your direct email but computer says it cannot transfer at that address. thanks for your answer......I would like to use the shot @ 125mgs because it is so much easier on the body. When I have used 500 or 1000 the side effects are almost intolerable. the 125mg shot lasts ten days. Is it okay to get that amount every ten days? Once a month? I am still in relapse mode. Thank you very much for your answer. XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Steroids are not recommended every 10 days Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. In MS relapse, the steroid injections are given at a stretch of 3-5 days, and not every 10 days. If you can not tolerate more then 125 mg in one dose, you may take four doses of solumedrol per day and use in that manner for a period of 3-5 days. If you are getting frequent relapses, you should use interferon injections to prevent them. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: How often can a patient with MS get a shot of Solumedrol? 2 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX Thank you for your prompt answer. I guess I will go with the 500mg for five days and see how that works. You know there is a famous Evangelical Pastor in India. He is the leader of at least fifty churches, maybe more by now. Maybe you are related.....his name is XXXXXXX XXXXXXX One last query...is Interferon a drug that has to be taken regularly? Do you give that to your patients? Thanks & best wishes,XXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. Sure, keep me informed about your progress with 500 mg dose. We are not related, but I have heard of him. I routinely use interferon injections for my patients with MS. It should be taken for long-term. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)