How much time will it take to get cured from severe cough and cold and viral bronchitis?

hi... I had severe cough and cold , a week back and on getting checked was diagnosed of viral bronchitis. my voice is hoarse for the past one week. what time frame I will be cured?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: It will take 2-3 weeks or even more for cure Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. I fully agree your doctor that it is a viral infection, for which no specific anti-viral therapy is indicated. Further, you have associated involvement of larynx, which has caused hoarseness of voice. Please continue with the treatment as advised. In addition, the following measures will be of benefit:- * Saline gargles (with 4 spoons of common salt in a glass of hot water) 3-4 times daily, which will restore your voice; * Steam inhalation through the nose 3-4 times daily. * Nasivion/Otrivin nasal drops to be instilled in each nostril 4 times daily, which will open up your nasal passages and facilitate flow of stagnant secretions in the sinuses. * 3-4 days' course of anti-inflammatory drugs, such as, a combination of ibuprofen + paracetamol, which will reduce swelling of throat and larynx and give great benefit, including normalization of voice. As far as the time taken for complete cure is concerned, it will take at least 2-3 weeks or even more, for complete cure. The cough is due to post-nasal drip (flow of secretions from the sinuses into the throat, which causes irritation of throat and larynx with consequent cough). The complete relief will occur ONLY once all sinus secretions flow out!!! Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion and prescribe the additional drugs- as advised by me- in appropriate doses. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: How much time will it take to get cured from severe cough and cold and viral bronchitis? 7 minutes later
Thanks for your detail advice, Dr. XXXXXXX Pls suggest me drug names for ibuprofen + paracetamol composition or any anti-inflammatory drugs. Regards, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take anti-inflammatory pain-killer drug Detailed Answer: Hi, You may take Combiflam one tablet thrice daily for 3-5 days. Take care and have an enjoyable day Dr.Rakesh karanwal