How much time will a kidney transplant take and what is its cost?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
want to kidney transplant
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Actually the transplant is a procedure which involves two operations together
One is of the person who is going to give the kidney and another of the person who gets the kidney

Depending on how the kidney is removed from the donor the time varies, it can be done by an open method or by a Laparoscope

Anyway the minimum time will be around 3-4 hours

Cost varies from hospital to hospital and from procedure to procedure, Looking to the reports I feel Ahmedabad will be best and reasonable for you

Donor is required, ethically a live related donor kidney has the best results, but what I see in your reports is that there is no O+ve donor in your family, so the best option will be a cadaver kidney[From a brain dead patient] and again my experience says Ahmedabad will be a better center for this option also

Hope all clear, in case you need more information specify and revert back

Wishing you daughter A Speedy Recovery
Follow-up: How much time will a kidney transplant take and what is its cost? 13 hours later
First of all i thank you for going through this case.

As per your suggestion Ahmedabad is right place for us.
But sir, in Ahmedabad wating list is of for 2 years.
means they have given time after 2 years.
now pl suggest us how and where i request for the same.

Sir, may i request to you that may i talk to you personly. if possible pl send me your contact no and timing for contact.

Thanks for your consideration.

with regards

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

Unfortunately, I felt that Ahmedabad will be the best option as this was the center which started cadaver transplants In India, and I was a member of the operating team which did the first cadaver transplant. Yes, the waiting list is very huge as there is scarcity of cadaver kidneys. However, if the waiting time is 2 years, you can consider looking at alternative centres like Mumbai or Delhi. This procedure needs to be done at an established institute by an experienced surgeon.

My number is 0000. I would be available for one to one consultation at Ratandeep Surgical Hospital & Endoscopy Clinic XXXXXXX Second Floor, Maninagar Cross Roads Ahmedabad-0000 from 11:00Am to 01:00Pm & 05:00 to 07:00Pm.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery