How much should be post lunch sugar reading?

I use Glycomet SR 250 Mg to control my diabeties. Like to know how much post lunch readings are allowed The reason for asking this question is, I understand SR means sutained release and it will control the sugar levels with the slow release. After 2 hrs the glucose level may not come down like with other medicines.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: explaing blood levels Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I am Dr Mittal, MD I think you need to understand the fact that the sugar levels and the medicine required for everyone is different. At the same level, every patient needs a different level of drug. Also every doctor, depending on the patient profile selects a different level of control profile. So I may select for you a higher/lower level of appropriate sugar control as compared to your own diabetician. So I must tell you that I usually try to get my patients to have fasting blood glucose levels around 100- 120 and their post meal blood sugar between 120- 150. However in patients who are prone to developing hypoglycemia, blood sugar gets low, I prefer to keep the sugars at a higher range. If you tell me your FBS, PPBS levels, I may be able to tell you whether the control is adequate. Also suggest an HbA1C. I also suggest a dietary control and physical exercises. Hoping for a response, so i can help you further Dr Saumya Mittal
Follow-up: How much should be post lunch sugar reading? 1 hour later
My HbA1c is at 8.1 Fasting is at 126 and Posting is 240 (with 5 idli) on one Glycomet SR 250 Mg tablet For the past few months the ratings are more or less same. I am a vegiterian. for te past so many months started eating brown rice and wheat rawa for food. Night times only limited food like dosa or rawa upma. No sugar and sweets Please suggest a medication.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Further medicines can be added Detailed Answer: Hi Read your follow up query. First I think you can step up the dose of your metformin. And thereafter, if the sugars still remain high, I would suggest glimipride. Also test a HbA1c. It tells us about the overall control of sugars. In my patients, I usually suggest a sugar charting at home using a glucometer as follows Once in 3 weeks, note one of the following and maintain a chart of it Fasting blood sugar Prelunch blood sugar Predinner blood sugar Maintain this chart and you can definitely get a better control on sugars As of now, I would say there is definitely scope to increase the dose of medicines. Hope that answers you Best of luck Dr Saumya Mittal
Dr Saumya Mittal, Thank you. I am in the same mind. Please let me know dosage you suggest and time during the day the tablets to be consumed. If you suggest to use Glimipride after checking the readings for few weeks, do you suggest any dosage and time during the day? This has to be taken along with increased glycoment tablets? Please provide complete dosage? As suggested by you, i have gluco meter and will check the readings once in 3 weeks and measure any one of them and monitor them. Please suggest after how months you want me to get back to you? Also when i come back after defined months you will beavialble or i need to talk some one in the panel?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Double the dose Detailed Answer: I usually suggest to my patients to step up the medicines slowly. So as of now I would suggest that you just double the dose of your current medicine and check your sugars regularly as suggested. I of course will be available. So that is no issue. On your return query I would suggest you test an HbA1c and KFT as well. And finally, I think it would be good to meet once so I can know the details. Alternatively you should keep meeting your local diabetician for your urgent needs. Best of luck Dr Saumya Mittal