How much potassium and sodium should I consume daily to maintain serum potassium and sodium in normal range?

Cardiologist
Question
I take triamterene-hctz 37.5/25 for hbp. How much potassium and sodium should i consume daily to avoid my serum potassium and sodium going out if normal range?
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi, You are saying to take tiramterene-hctz for high blood pressure. This combination pill contains triamterene which keeps the blood potassium at its normal range. So, there is no need to take extra potassium as it would cause hyperkalemia (high blood potassium) as side effect (which may lead to life threatening complication). With regards to sodium intake, there is no need to take extra sodium. Just take the normal daily amount of less 1,500 mg of sodium as per recommendations of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Hope it answered to your questions! Feel free to ask me again at the next follow up! Dr.Benard

Follow-up: How much potassium and sodium should I consume daily to maintain serum potassium and sodium in normal range? 50 minutes later
I thought the body does not make its own potassium. My question is how much potassium should i eat in my daily normal diet? I am not asking about supplementing. The reason for my question is that i am on a high protein low carb diet so i want to ensure i am eating enough potassium.

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following answer. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for sending in more of your medical data. You are saying to be on a high protein low carb diet. Usually, these types of diet would provide less potassium amount to your body. It is true that our body does not make its own potassium, but, it can store it. When we eat, our body uses the amount it needs for the daily activities, and the other part it supplies its stores. Patients with high blood pressure are advised to get up to 4,700 mg of potassium per day to prevent hypokalemia onset. However you don't need to take potasium suplements because you are taking potasium sparing diuretics (triamterene). Wish you health! If you are satisfied with my answer, please close this thread and kindly rate my answer! Dr.Benard