How much is my survival rate for squamous cell carcinoma and how much radiation and chemo is needed for me?

I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma 5 months back in my mouth in lower jaw next canine teeth. Was been operated then and the tooth and marginal bone was removed. After a month it was like metastasis in submandibular lymph node . Then again I was been operated and like 21 lymph nodes were removed from the neck area . The histopathology report was that only one node was involved. And now they tell me to go for radiation and chemo. My question is how much is my survival rate and how much radiation and chemo is needed for me
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Your survival rate depend on your treatment. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. In head and neck cancer survival rate is related to 5 yrs. survival rate, so in your case 5yrs. survival rate is at least 86%(it all depend on survey done on patient for 5yrs.) In your case it is squamous cell carcinoma, so radiotherapy and chemotherapy is increased the survival rate. It also kill the new cancerous cell. In your case it is squamous cell carcinoma so chemotherapy and radiation is very effective after surgery. In your case if I am your treating doctor I will give you chemoradiotherpy for at least 6-8 weeks if you are not having any serious side effect of therapy. Dosage of chemotherapy and radiation dose depend on your age, weight, stage and site of cancer which can be evaluated by your treating doctor. I think I have answered your query If you have further questions I will be happy to help you. Good luck. Regards Dr. Richa