How much formula milk should be given to 2 year old?

Question
How much formula milk should my 2 year old son drink? He is 15kg
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 27 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for your query on XXXXXXX

500ml of milk is enough for a 2 year old. If the kid is taking more than that, he may take less solid food. It may result in less nutrition.

Also it is recommended to switch to cow's milk when the kid turns 1 year of age, unless recommended by a physician. Research has linked prolonged or exclusive formula feeding to obesity at a later age.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: How much formula milk should be given to 2 year old? 2 hours later
500mL is about 16fl oz correct? can you be specific on cows milk? Because currently i am giving my son GAIN for 1 to 3 years of age.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 19 hours later
Hi

Thanks for reverting back,

500 ml is approximately 17 oz.

By cow's milk, I mean the milk that adults consume.

Up to 2 years of age, homogenized 3.25% cow's milk should be given. After 2 years, 2% cow's milk can be given too. The percentage means the amount of fat present per 100 g of milk. For example, 2% milk has 2 g of fat per 100 g of milk.

In my opinion, formula milk should not be given beyond a certain age unless specifically advised by the physician for reasons like low weight-for-age, anemia, failure to thrive, etc.

Hope I addressed your concerns. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee