How much formula does a 3 weeks baby need?

Excellent

Question
hi, my nameis XXXXXXX, i have a question about formula, my son is 3 weeks old now, i know it is normal to have 2-2.5oz of formula of feeding, when he was 2weeks old, he always seem to want more, i so increased it to 3oz, and the doctor said it is fine, now he is 3weeks old, and yes he doesnt seem full with 3oz, he keep waking up or not want to sleep unlessi give him a lil bit more, should i go with 3.5oz ?
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Parenting

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 40 minutes later

Yes, do increase the quantity to 3.5oz. 2nd to 6th week is a period where there is rapid growth after initial fat loss.The requirement may be more and rising to support the rapid growth.It is in this period major muscles in the body gain girth.

Need not worry,feed the baby stomach full and as frequent as he carves for.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: How much formula does a 3 weeks baby need? 1 hour later
and how do i know if he has a stomachache ? cuz im worryingif i feed him too much, if he not spilling up but just feeling uncomforble i his stomach, how can i tell ? is he just XXXXXXX cry?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Need not worry,if baby is feeling discomfort due to filled stomach he will reject the feed.

If he is feeding without resistance then you can carry on.It is better to give frequent small feeds rather than a heavy feed at a time.

Hope I cleared your doubt.

Wish you good health.

after i fed my son, he keep making the sound out of hi mouth , like stuffy in his mouth, i tried to pump it out but still doesnt work, and my question is , is that ok to give my son some water? not like an oz to drink but just some water to keep him not too dry?cuz for us asian, wealways give babies water, formula is good, but every single time with formula? just like having mc XXXXXXX every single time~

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later
Hi again,

Giving water to a 2 weeks old is not recommended.But it is not XXXXXXX if it helps you can give few drops.The water should be very clean by boiling it before giving.

Do get him examined by a pediatrician , the sound he is making could be due to respiratory infections which are very common in formula fed infants.

Follow-up: How much formula does a 3 weeks baby need? 11 hours later
he not making that sound all the time, just like 1 in a while , right after feeding, not every feeding

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

If it is that less frequent then there is no need to worry.The sound he makes could be due to the food material in the pharynx.It would be better to give the feeds in very diluted form.