Ask a Urologist   »  

How much discomfort will I have post surgery for swollen prostate?

I was told about a procedure for a swollen prostaite where a cavity is chiped in the prostaite so I can get a faster stream . my question is how much discomfort will I have after the surgery
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 3 hours later
Brief Answer: 48 hr hospital stay, 8 weeks to return to work. Detailed Answer: Hello, There are various surgical procedures available for benign enlargement of prostate. Depends on the surgery and procedure, hospital stay and discomfort varies. Transurethral resection of prostate (TURP)- Very commonly performed surgery for prostate enlargement. I my patients have Prostate enlargement, i advise them to undergo TURP. 1. After surgery, you may have difficulty in passing urine Because of catheter. you will be able to pass urine normally after 24 - 48 hours. Thus you may need hospital stay for minimum 48 hours after surgery. 2. You may have intermittent on and off pain and discomfort for a week or 10 days 3. You will be advised not to do lifting or exercise or moderate to heavy work for four to six weeks 4. After four weeks, you will be allowed to do gentle exercises like walking . 5. You will recover completely from TURP after 8 weeks and will be allowed to return work normally. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.