How much alcohol should I consume to be seen in EtG test?

Psychiatrist
Question
Dr. XXXXXXX you have been very helpful. You answered a question for me Aug. 30th 2013. You may want to refer to it. I need some clarification. Understanding that the EtG test is not a very specific indicator of amount of alcohol consumed. However you were able to give me a rough estimate of the amount of alcohol consumption needed to yield a result of 15,000 ng/ml of ethyl glucuronide in a urine sample. If I understood you correctly, you indicated that consumption of -3- glasses of table wine containing 125ml within 9 hrs of consumption would result in an EtG test result of approximately 15,000 ng/ml. In other words ONE glass 125ml of table wine would yield test results of 5,000 ng/ml on an EtG test, of a 37yr old female weighing aproximately 125lbs. Is that correct? My other question was about Ziquill nightime sleep medication. Ziquill is a liquid med. containing 10% alcohol. Standard dose is 30 to 40 ml. It is made by the Vicks company. They also make a nightime cold med named Niquill. Since the EtG test is a biomarker test that detects alcohol consumption within a 80 hr period following it's consumption, by measuring, not alcohol in the system, but the biomarkers generated by alcohol metebolism, could the nightly consuption of a substance like Zquill result in a build up of biomarkers over an 80 hr period resulting in an buildup and an elevated ethyl glucuronide, higher than the result obtained by just one dose of Ziquill? It is my understanding that the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Adminstration {SAMHSA} has issued warnings that Mouthwash and over-the-counter medications can result in false positives in the EtG tests. Is it plauseable that a strong dental mouthwash, containing 18% alcohol and used 3 times a day, every day during the 80 hr period result in a EtG level of 3,600 ng/ml due to the buildup of biomarkers in the person's system? How much credence should be given to the EtG test to determine the AMOUNT of alcohol comsumption that has taken place based on the ng/ml results of the EtG tests, when other factors such as use of Zquill use and strong priscription dental mouthwash are being used?
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Que: However you were able to give me a rough estimate of the amount of alcohol consumption needed to yield a result of 15,000 ng/ml of ethyl glucuronide in a urine sample. If I understood you correctly, you indicated that consumption of -3- glasses of table wine containing 125ml within 9 hrs of consumption would result in an EtG test result of approximately 15,000 ng/ml. In other words ONE glass 125ml of table wine would yield test results of 5,000 ng/ml on an EtG test, of a 37yr old female weighing aproximately 125lbs. Is that correct?

Answer: No, it is not true and test value can not be predicted, as the alcohol metabolism in body does not depend on its concentration in blood. Due to that low amount of alcohol washed out from the body in much faster rate.

Que: could the nightly consuption of a substance like Zquill result in a build up of biomarkers over an 80 hr period resulting in an buildup and an elevated ethyl glucuronide, higher than the result obtained by just one dose of Ziquill?

Answer: As you mention that Zquill contain 10% alcohol, then 30-40 ml of Zquill is equivalent to 1/4th standard drink each night (One Standard Drink is equivalent to: 1 peg or 30 ml whiskey/Vodka which contain 40% alcohol approx). As a Rough estimate a person that consumes 3 Standard Drink used to have a detectable level of EtG for approximately 20 to 24 hours. So according to me build up of EtG value should not occur with such low dose, as body is capable of eliminating low EtG level from the system everyday.

Que: Is it plauseable that a strong dental mouthwash, containing 18% alcohol and used 3 times a day, every day during the 80 hr period result in a EtG level of 3,600 ng/ml due to the buildup of biomarkers in the person's system?

Answer: 18% for mouthwash is not much concentration as they are only for rinsing purpose. In my opinion it will not build EtG level upto that much level.

Que: How much credence should be given to the EtG test to determine the AMOUNT of alcohol comsumption that has taken place based on the ng/ml results of the EtG tests, when other factors such as use of Zquill use and strong priscription dental mouthwash are being used?

Answer: In De-addiction screening many patient tend to lie, which make health professional and regulatory bodies more cautious. In a person with good past history, credence may be given for Mouthwash and Zquill use to some extent after confirmation of their use.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
http://bit.ly/Dr-Ashish-Mittal