How much alcohol can i drink without increasing my weight?

I am 36 years old male with height of 5'9'' weighing 86 kg. I love taking drinks but getting my tummy increased. What is permitted limit of Alcohol? I mean 60 / 120 / 180 in ml or less.
Please advise.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 17 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

First of all considering your age,height and weight you are already in the overweight criteria and your BMI(Body mass index) is also in the obese range.

As you must be aware that obesity has various effects on the body and along with that individual is also prone to diseases as Diabetes,High Blood Pressure etc.

Regarding the alcohol it is a major contributor in increasing weight as it has empty calories.Other than that it also effects Liver,Kidneys and various other organs.

Permissible limit if you are taking it on a daily basis 40 ml is fine but that does not indicate that it would not lead to side effects.

It also depends what alcohol you are taking as beer has maximum calories and wine is compartively less harmful.

If you prefer taking alcohol regularly consider doing some form of exercise daily for at least half an hour and have healthy nutritious diet.

Hope this answers your query.I will be avilable for follow up queries.

Follow-up: How much alcohol can i drink without increasing my weight? 22 hours later
Thanks for the suggestion and advice. My BMI comes to 28 which is nearer to obesity. I accept the answer but need to know some more about my precautions. In relation to that I would like to know "what should be my diet chart". If any fat reducing / burning medicine is there to control my calorie gains along with exercises.
Please help and advise.
Follow-up: How much alcohol can i drink without increasing my weight? 4 minutes later
In continuation with your question and my further request, I further explore that I usualy take Whisky and rarely take Vodka.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 17 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up query.

Fat reducing medicines do not help in weight loss as they just suppress the appetite and are associated with various side effects as nausea, altered bowel movements, anxiety and some serious complications as well.

Exercise is the best and effective remedy for weight loss.

For the Diet plan you can consult a Nutritionist regarding this who can make a complete diet chart according to your cuisine and requirements and can also follow you up later.

You can also get a diet chart prepared from our dietician at healthcare magic. You can log into our website and click on the 'get a diet chart' option on the home page. You will be guided further.

You can take Whisky/Vodka but not more than a peg a day.

Hope this helps!