How many sprintec pills can be taken for emergency contraception?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
How many sprintec pills can I take for emergency contraception? I missed first three pills in pack because I purchased refill late. So I just started with first pill as normal but had unprotected sex day that I took fifth pill (8 days after supposed to start the pack). I took fifth and sixth pill at same nite....and was gone take two more tonite....
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Carol Rogala 2 hours later

Thank you for your question; I can understand why you are anxious.

First of all, having unprotected sex while not using the regular dose was ‘high risk’ for pregnancy. Since there are multiple forms of 'back up protection', in the future, you should consider having one around. The foam would be easy to use, but does not protect against STD's (Sexually Transmitted Diseases). If a condom is used, it only protects against STD's if it is not broken. In addition, any BCP (Birth control Pill) does not protect against STD's.

So, first of all, I would recommend you have STD testing and then you will have to wait until a missed period to do a urine pregnancy test.

To answer your question, if you miss a pill the first week of taking this BCP, you are to take two pills a day for the first two days and then one pill per day for the rest of the pack. Do not exceed this or you will simply get nauseated or possibly break through bleeding.

I hope this answers your question and wish you well.

Carol Rogala D.O., FACEP