How many pacemakers can one have in a lifetime if they are in very good health for the most part?
User rating for this question
How many pacemakers can one have in a lifetime if they are in very good health for the most part? How many times can a pacemaker be replaced if a person is healthy for the most part?
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to HCM Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Today, pacemakers are designed to last for a lifetime. So for the most part, the pacemaker should not need replaced ever. Only battery will need to be changed every cca 10 years. So you dont have to be worried about pacemaker durability. There are cases when Pm needs to be replaced if there is infection or malfunction but this is rare and you can prevent it by frequent cardiologist check ups. If replacement is needed,then it can be replaced as much times as necessary,there is no limit. But patient can have only one PM at the same time. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: How many pacemakers can one have in a lifetime if they are in very good health for the most part? 11 minutes later
The particular pacemaker my dad has in he said that the pacemaker and battery are all one unit something similar to the disposable flashlights and that the battery by itself cannot be replaced. He had this pacemaker put in six years ago. Did they make the pacemakers all one unit like that six years ago so therefore the whole pacemaker would have to be replaced and today they make the pacemakers to where only the battery would have to be replaced and not the whole pacemaker?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Yes,there are some PM with rechargable bateries,but most of them need to be replaced completely since battery is incorporated into it.Batteries can lead to certain complications so it was not recommendable to have Pm wioth batteries. But,battery or PM replace is the same procedure. It is simple today and many patient replace it even 4 or 5 times with no cosequances. There are PM that last for 15 years while some last for 4-5 years. It depends what type of PM is used
People also viewed
- Handwork is good for health how
- How good is revital for health
- Is increase in heart rate a side effect of roxicodone?
- Is increase in heart rate a side effect of axitinib?
- Why do dengue patients have abdominal pain
- Abdominal ct scan strange findings
- Abdominal tuberculosis does haemoglobin decreases
- Abdominal cramps 3 months postpartum
- Is increase in heart rate a side effect of omnitrope?
- Is increase in heart rate a side effect of moduretic?
- Is increase in heart rate a side effect of oxycodone?
- How to have good health at 70
- Mild lower left abdominal pain 3 days
- How good is khichdi for health
- How to calculate lifetime risk