How many days before dental cleaning and surgery should taking 'Pradaxa' stopped?

how many days before dental cleaning and possible surgery must I stop pradaxa?
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: 3 days Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query The half like of dabigatran (pradaxa) is 12-14 hours but in practice we stop the drug 3 days prior to a surgical procedure to prevent the risks of excessive bleeding. I would like to add here that since you are suffering from atrial fibrillation I strongly recommend that you seek cardiology clearance for the dental procedure before stopping the drug. I hope I was of help, if you have any furthe queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards
Follow-up: How many days before dental cleaning and surgery should taking 'Pradaxa' stopped? 37 minutes later
Thank you. It seems your reply is about what I thought but dentist and cardiologist referred me to each other. How is a poor mortal to know?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query I understand you concern, it is ultimately the cardiologist who has to decide how soon or late to stop the drug as it his organ of speciality that we are worried about. Take care