How long will take to taper off Methadone and what kind of pain can expect?

Dec 2012

How long will take kick Methadone and what kind of pain can expect ? I am on about 80mg aday and I am going cold XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Well can not clearly understand your description, but I will try to give you some details about methadone.
Methadone treats moderate to severe pain. Also used together with medical supervision and counseling for treatment of narcotic drug addiction. This medicine is a narcotic pain reliever.
The daily maximum recommended dose is 40mg and I see that you are already at 80 mg (which means you are taking twice the required dosage-overdosage).
You might experience short term or long term complications for doubling the dosage. Liver damage is one of the more severe complications you may experience. You risk QT interval prolongation (alteration in heart rhythm which might result to a complicated heart condition, notably cardiac arrhythmias).
Other problems that you may experience as a result of long term use or over-dosage is drug dependence, emotional lability, gallbladder disease, head injury, hepatic impairment, hypothyroidism, increased intracranial pressure, prostatic hypertrophy, renal function impairment, siezures with epilepsy, urethral stricture etc. Which are potentially lethal diseases.

You normally should not experience pain while on the medication and if you do, it might be related to another condition that will require medical attention.
My suggestion is that you should step down the dosage to daily 40mg divided into 2-3 doses. The seek immediate opinion of your treating doctor.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah