How long will it take to recover from chest infection and cough due to clotting in brain?

Nov 2013

hello doctor sir my father had clotting in brain due to fall from moped (1 november 2013)it has been a month since accident, he was admitted to iccu second time after few days of discharge from iccu due to BP going very low and oxygen supply going way below stander , he is conscious , recognizes everyone but can not be fed by mouth so we use to feed him with pipe , he is also unable to speak , doctors says he has lot of cough and chest infection is major cause of worry .. he is unable to walk and sit on his own as well , what can be done for his speedy recovery and how long will it take for recovery, is it only physiotherapy that will help now? also please give suggestion for best doctors in hyderabad to consult?
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. It is unfortunate that your father has not recovered well even after one month of head injury. The amount of neurological disability in your father is because of injury to brain, as well as injury due to lack of oxygen supply and low blood pressure. Exact nature of disability depends on which part of brain had the blood clot. Delayed recovery in your father is on account of his relatively older age, and presence of infection. As of now, he needs good physiotherapy and chest therapy, antibiotics for chest infection, and you should continue Ryle's tube feeding. If you would like second opinion, you could consult me at Apollo Hospitals, Jubilee Hills, with all his reports. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: How long will it take to recover from chest infection and cough due to clotting in brain? 18 hours later
Hello Sir thanks for your reply , as of now Dr Kartikey XXXXXXX former nurosurgeon PGI Lko is treating him, my father is presently admitted in allahabad and problem with hospitals over this city hospitals is that he is not getting good nursing care. so i am planning to sift him to hyderabad where he can get good medication and nursing care in a good environment and could recover soon. i am wondering how his cough formation can be lessened, since as of now he can not cough it out when he gets it in throat. and this causes him breathing problem intermittently and destroys all gains made. i have good past experience of care banjara but i have also heard quality of treatment of apollo , but looks like apollo is quite expensive any suggestion which should be better for me also how long it may take him to get strength to stand and walk. also is it advisable to keep him at home and do personal care than keeping in hospital ? for your information below i am providing CT Scan report done on 11th of november POSTERIOR FOSSA:: IV ventrical is normal and midline. both cerebellar hemisphere and region of brain stem are normal SUPRATENTORIAL:: evidence of large haemorrhagic contusion is present in left temporo- parietal region. evidence of subarachnoid haemorrhagic contusion in cortical sulci is seen. left lateral ventrical is effaced with midline shift to right.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Thank you for providing more information. Yes, I agree that care in Hyderabad would be better than Allahabad. Hospitals here have better nursing and medical facilities. Your father needs good nursing, good physiotherapy/speech therapy, and supervision of a good MD physician. The constant supervision of a neurosurgeon is not needed, as about one month has passed after the event. Good chest physiotherapy with throat suctioning would help in clearing the chest infection faster. Antibiotics may also be needed, if he has fever or active infection. Regarding Care Banjara and Apollo, the costs would not be much different. You could bring him to the hospital for a few days, and then shift him to home after understanding what all has to be done for his care. I hope it helps. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)