How long will it take for ciprofloxacin to treat bronchial infection?

I am taking ciprofloxacin 500mg. twice daily for bronchial infection. How long will it take before I should start feeling better?
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: takes 2-3 days if infection is there Detailed Answer: Dear Mam, Ciprofoxacin is an antibiotic. If you are taking it for sore throat , it may take atleast 2-3 days to show its effects, but only if your cold is due to bacterial infection. And the bacteria is sensitive to it. You should discuss with your doctor about considering anti-histaminics for cold , sore throat. You should do warm saline gargles 4-5 times a day and do steam inhalation. Usually sore throat is self limiting , unless it is complicated by secondary bacterial infection. Just want to mention here , that Ciprofloxacin belongs to quinolones group of drug , which is now a days avoided in respiratory infection , as it is a second line treatment for tuberculosis. So suppose , a person has tuberculosis which is not properly manifested yet, and takes ciprofloxacin for sore throat , it will effect the tubercular bacteria , and will suppress the symptoms , leading to delayed diagnosis of tuberculosis and also development of drug resistance in tuberculosis bacteria. So , better avoid it. I hope i am able to solve your query , if you have any further query , ask me.