How long will alcohol stay in system. Will it be detected in blood test?

Question
how long will alcohol stay in my system, will it show up on a blood test
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to healthcare magic!
Alcohol is a short acting substance and at longest can stay for few days.
It depends whether you are a chronic user where it clears early due to induced metabolism.
If you are a new person then it will take longer.
Another important thing is that a fixed amount is eliminated every hour called Zero order kinetics in contrast to most other substances where a fraction of drug gets eliminated per unit time. So more the amount taken more the time needed to clear it.
If you are a chronic abuser then alcohol may be not detected but it's effect on memory, behaviour, liver, heart would remain detectable long after you have quit.
I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: How long will alcohol stay in system. Will it be detected in blood test? 16 hours later
if a person takes a drink on monday, then goes for a blood test on friday, will it show up in his blood test? thank you

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 18 hours later

Hi XXXXXXX

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physicians!
Alcohol can not be detected in blood test that long provided that person in question absolutely avoids it till friday.
I think the advise would be helpful for you.

If you still have queries if any, please feel free to communicate back.

And if satisfied with my solution then please accept the answer and take a moment to post your view in the Review Section about my Clinical skills!

Wish you a great XXXXXXX