How long should after taking isoniazid and rifamapcin to get pregnant?

Mar 2016

How long should I wait to get pregnant after taking isoniazid 300 mg and rifamapcin 600 mg for 9 months.So that fetus is not impacted.
My liver profile is working as expected.
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Here, I give you a complete guideline regarding your query:

1) First thing, you should complete your full 9 months course of Lymph node TB treatment with above drug regimens.

2) You will plan for pregnancy after 3 months of completed treatment if all test results are within normal range and you get regular period.

3) Before planning to pregnancy, you must do some tests like:

a) LFT (Liver Function Test) - It must be normal with all parameters to avoid complication during pregnancy.

b) AFB smear & culture and Mycobacterium TB PCR - To exclude reinfection and pelvic or genital TB.

c) One pelvic ultrasound scan to check reproductive organs overall and HSG test (Hysterosalpingography) to detect tubal blockage (if any).

4) If all above test reports are normal, then it will be easier for planning a baby and avoid certain risk of growing fetus.

5) Take balanced diet with more green vegetables, protein supplements, eat fresh fruits and drink more water for better systemic circulation.

6) Start to take folic acid and vitamin-E supplement for at least 3 months prior to conception. It is helpful to develop better fetal nervous system and avoid Neural Tube Defect disorder.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and quick recovery.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: How long should after taking isoniazid and rifamapcin to get pregnant? 2 hours later
I have done below tets after 7 months completion of treatment.
MY LFT (Liver Function Test) normal.
AFB smear & culture is also fine.

If all above test are normal Can i conceive after 2 months of completed treatment as my peroids are regual coming every 23 days.And could you please tell me folic acid and vitamin-E supplements name.So that i can take it after completed treatment
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, first you should undergo all 3 tests that I have mentioned in my earlier text after completion of TB treatment. If all results are normal and period is regular for consecutive 2 to 3 months, then you can definitely try to conceive after 2 months of completed treatment. Your recent LFT and AFB- smear & culture report are also fine as per information.

You can take folic acid tab like SYSFOL or FOLVITE and Vitamin-E supplement like EVION or VITEOLIN cap regularly for consecutive 3 months before and after pregnancy. Along with, you must take protein XXXXXXX diet with more vegetables and fruits to recover from general weakness & increase body immunity.

Hope, it will help for your information. If you don't have any other query, then you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen