How long should I take prilosec for GERD?

Hello. I purchased OTC Prilosec to treat GERD. I took it for 4 days straight. Felt better and stopped. Two weeks later, some symptoms have come back. Can I continue to take Priolsec now? How long should I take it before seeing my doctor?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer: GERD needs physician's evaluation and two month Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome to healthcare Magic! GERD is a particular diagnosis mostly confirmed with upper GI Endoscopy. If this is really GERD then no doctor will advise four day treatment. The Prilosec is PPI group of acid suppressant and should be taken for at least two months mostly with a prokinetic drug like domperidone. You will get only short lived relief in four days as you have seen, it is lost by recurrence. If there is any anatomical problem leading to GERD then it also needs correction. If H.Pylori infection is detected it should be eradicated with special combined regimens. I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you. Take Care!