How long should I take flatuna tablet for gas and bloating?

i have gas how long should i take flatuna tablet to be fully effective. I have eight days back finished a course of flagyl. This problem of gas and bloating returns every three to four months.
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 42 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

Excess gas formation is generally harmless and may not be related to any underlying condition. Common causes of such gas formation are swallowed air, antibiotics, laxatives, constipation, food intolerance, fiber diet, artificial additives, chronic infections and some inflammatory bowel conditions like crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.

Foods XXXXXXX in lactose or gluten, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes can cause more gas formation. Foods that cause gas formation include beans, onions, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, artichokes, asparagus, pears, apples, peaches, prunes, sugar-free candies and chewing gum, whole-wheat bread, XXXXXXX cereals or muffins, milk, cream, ice cream, ice milk, and beer, sodas and other carbonated beverages.

Therefore a few things that I suggest and which can be helpful are:

Try to identify and avoid the foods that affect you.
Avoid fried and fatty foods.
For time being cut back on high-fiber foods.
Reduce milk products.
Try supplements of the enzyme lactase .
Try charcoal tablets.
Eat slowly and avoid talking while eating.

In the meantime, please consider consulting a gastroenterologist to rule out any possible underlying cause. Your doctor will likely determine what's causing your gas and gas pains based on your medical history, a review of your dietary habits and a physical exam.

Hope this answers your question. Please ask if there are doubts.

Follow-up: How long should I take flatuna tablet for gas and bloating? 18 hours later
whenever i take ciprofloxcin and tinidazole tabs i feel ok . but the episode returns after two to three months. does it mean anything
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 hours later
In that case possibility of chronic infection needs to be ruled out. These medications might be clearing infection partly to relieve symptoms intermittently. Two investigations - stool analysis and culture can help to confirm this.After that more appropriate treatment can be proposed. I still insist a thorough examination by Gastroenterologist.

Follow-up: How long should I take flatuna tablet for gas and bloating? 2 hours later
is this chronic infection you are referring to curable ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 35 minutes later
Yes, these are curable.