How long should I take Mirtaz for mild depression?

Psychiatrist
Question
I AM STARTED A MIRTAZ-15MG TABLET FOR MILD DEPRESSION..I DONT KNOW HOW LONG I TAKE THAT MEDICINE...
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Depression

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     47 year old male
•     On Selomax since 5 year
•     Known case of mild depression on Mirtaz 15 mg per day
•     Worry related to duration of Mirtaz use

Mirtaz is an antidepressant. It also causes sleepiness and weight gain which will help you.

For 1st episode of depression antidepressants are used for 9-12 month usually.

But final decision is taken by treating psychiatrist as treatment duration depend on many factors like patient history, past personal/family history, presence of co morbid medical illness, stress in life, mental status findings during interview, physical examination findings, response to treatment, drug side effects, presence of other psychiatric symptoms, family support and risk of self harm. So treatment duration is complex and dynamic decision.

Even sometime patient does not respond with 1 antidepressant. In that cases doses need to increased or some antidepressants may need to be add in treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Regards.