How long should I continue taking levipil for my head injury and can I go to gym?

Question
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX ... I am a male, 46 years old with normal health, non drinker and non smoker. I had recently met with an accident causing head injury. I had a partial seizure at that time. I was admitted to the hospital and was in the ICU for 3 days, 4 days in the general ward and 3 weeks rest at home after that. I am perfectly fine now and have resumed office for the last month. Earlier I was on Eptoin and Levipil 500. Currently Eptoin is discontinued and am advised to take Levipil 500 thrice a day for 6 month. Till how long I need to continue taking this medicine? Also one more query, I was a regularly going to Gym before this accident. When can I resume my gym activities?
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: You can start gym now. For safer approach you can start non instrument based exercises like yoga, aerobic and breathing exercises. Once medications are stopped and you have few months symptom free period , you can start regular gym. Avoid trade mill , cycling weight lifting or swiming Hope this helps. Please ask if there are doubts. Regards

Follow-up: How long should I continue taking levipil for my head injury and can I go to gym? 1 hour later
1) When will the medication stop? Till when are you supposed to take the medicine? 2) Tread Mill, Weight Lifting were normal part of the exercise routine. When can I start the same?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Duration of medication vary case wise but after 6 months doctor will taper it. Heavy or instrument exercises are better avoided as there is fear of you throwing convulsion while doing exercises. Once medications are stopped and you are free of symptoms for three months you can start regular exercise workup. Regards