How long should Feminine Probiotic be taken to balance PH levels and eliminate viginal odour?

I have chronic BV infections. I just finished 7 days of Clindamycin 3 days ago. My discharge has cleared up but I still have an awful odor. One that I only get when I have a BV infection. It smells like "sex" It is my understanding that the vaginal cream does not balance vaginal PH. So my Pharmacist recommended I start taking a Feminine Probiotic which has 10 Probiotic strains and 25 Billion live cultures. I've been taking that for 8 days now. I also read that vitamin d also helps with Chronic BV infections. My question is how many days should it take for the probiotic to balance my PH and this awful smell to go away.
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: One week use is sufficient Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXX A week use of probiotics to balance the ph is all that is required. Apart from your query I would like to suggest you that, treatment of your partner ( the infection is usually asymptomatic in males) is usually required to prevent reinfection. Use of vaginal douche and local application of antibiotic and excessive use of water or detergent is not advisable as they may alter the normal comensal organisms in the introitus. Wash the area twice with plain water and after every urination and wipe it with soft tissue without rubbing action, keep it clean and dry. Clotrimazole dusting powder may be used to keep the area dry. Take care If you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you. Wishing you healthy life Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD
Follow-up: How long should Feminine Probiotic be taken to balance PH levels and eliminate viginal odour? 29 hours later
I have been taking the feminine probiotic now for 9 days and the smell has not gone away. it has gotten worse. I will be making an appointment with my GP on Monday. I would like to be tested to see if I have too much good bacteria or too much bad bacteria. What test should I ask for? I know it's not an STD... You have to be sexually active for that to have one.. I'm sure you can understand my frustration. I've had this for 2 months now and people are starting to make comments... Also since I am in menopause would that be a contributing factor?.. Homeopathic or home remedies have not worked.. Do you have any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hormone replacement therapy may be beneficial Detailed Answer: Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXX Menopause could also be the factor in altering the normal comensal. Hormone replacement therapy could also be beneficial. You can ask for colony count for commensal and pathological bacteria. Do discuss the hormone replacement therapy with your physician. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha