Ask a Urologist   »  

How long should Alfoo be taken for urinary problem?

Dear Sir, I am 30 years old male. I got the problems with urination 8 months back. I was unable to empty the bladder properly and also there was chest pain, body pain, difficulty to sleep in night, increased heart beat and constant anxiety. My doctor advised some tests and my Vitamin b12 level came out to be 62. I took 9 injections and Vitamin B12 capsules and within 10 days, I was completely normal and my urinary problems were also gone. However, 2 weeks back, I again started feeling similar type of symptoms. I checked for my vitamin B12 level and it came to be 312 and I was also diagonsed with Vitamin D deficiency ( 10.9 ) This time I consulted urologist. He performed Uroflowmetry test and average flow rate came out to be 4. He prescribed me Alfoo 10 mg and I am taking that tablet daily for last 2 weeks and my symptoms have improved. However, I am also taking Vitamin B12 and D capsules along with it. My question is for how long should I continue with Alfoo ? Also, is it possible to have prostate problems at my age ? And is there any connection between my symptoms and Vitamin B12 and D deficiency? I would also like to mention here that since I am taking Alfoo, I am facing issues of frequent urination and also there is a numbness and slight pain in my left hand..
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Alfoo for one month atleast. Detailed Answer: Welcome to the forum. I went through your history. I would continue ALFOO for one month and repeat uroflow test. At that point, if there is no symptom and the flow is good, i would stop alfoo. otherwise i would suggest alfoo for a total of three months. Prostatitis ( inflammation of the prostate) can occur at any age. To my knowledge, there is no relationship between vitamin deficiency and urinary symptoms. Frequent urination is not due to alfoo and is due to the underlying disease process. Also the hand symptoms are unrelated. Hope this helps, truly
Follow-up: How long should Alfoo be taken for urinary problem? 1 hour later
Since, I am feeling lot of dizziness during the day time, Is there any low dosage available of Alfoo( < 10 mg ).
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 21 hours later
Brief Answer: silodosin Detailed Answer: Welcome back. Alfoo is available only as 10 mg. You may try an equivalent medicine called SILODOSIN, half the dose being 4 mg ( usual dose is 8 mg). Sincerely,