How long it takes to recover a person in diabetic coma?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My aunt has been in diabetic coma for four days because her sugar was too low.. is there any chance of her waking up? Her breathing is normal and the doctor says her blood sugar is slowly raising.. (my aunt is currently in senegal, west africa)
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Recovery from diabetic coma can happen if the blood glucose levels rise to near normal levels and the brain has not yet damaged irreversibly.
A complete assessment and physical examination is needed to assess her prognosis. Her treating physician is the best person to comment regarding her chances of recovery.
Since I do not have all the details and a privilege to examine your aunt my assessment is severely limited.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.