How long it takes to have the symptoms of stis, discomfort in penis or pelvic pain?

Psychiatrist
Question
Ok last question.... how long will it take for someone to see signs when affected with stis ? or discomfort in penis or pelvic pains?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 14 hours later
Hello again,

The time take to manifest symptoms varies according to the nature and type of infection. Usually, most STIs (gonorrhoea, herpes, syphillis, chlamydia, etc.) present with acute symptoms in the first few days itself (less than a week).

However, rarely, some infections can become chronic and result in persisting low-grade symptoms such as discomfort in the genitals or pelvic pain, even a few weeks after transmission.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: How long it takes to have the symptoms of stis, discomfort in penis or pelvic pain? 25 hours later
please look at the attached pics and let me know whats going on ? thank you

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 20 hours later

I have gone through the pictures which you have sent. The first two pictures of male genital region show a small area of discolouration on the glans (head) of the penis, surrounding the urethral opening. This is indicative of a recent infection.

The other two pictures of the female genital region show genital warts - caused due to HPV (Human Papilloma Virus).

It is possible that the recent infection in the male partner could be due to a HPV infection contracted from the female partner.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: How long it takes to have the symptoms of stis, discomfort in penis or pelvic pain? 1 hour later
so what do i have to do for her and what do i have to do for me as well ?
and how long will it take for me to see signs of infection after contracting hpv ? and do you think thats the reason why i am having discomfort in me penis and more ? and lastly...... how is it possible to miss any std and get contract with sti after seeing her fluid on your base (protected sex) ? (cos her fluid can contain both)
PCR came back negative.... Thanks so much

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 13 hours later

Thats good news that your PCR has come back negative.

Now, regarding the HPV infection, the manifestations vary from individual to individual. In some people, their immune system is strong enough to clear the infection and prevent any manifestations. In some other people, the infection can remain dormant for some time and can result in symptoms later on.

In your case, I had mentioned that there was an indication for a recent / previous infection on your penis (it may or may not have been due to HPV). However, it doesn't appear that are any signs of any active infection currently. But, in your partner, there are outward manifestations in the form of genital warts.

Regarding your question on how it is possible to contract some STIs alone, despite having protected sex, the answer is that the certain STIs like HPV can spread even from skin contact (unlike most other STIs, including HIV). So, what I mean to say is that contact with fluids on intact skin may not be a risk for transmission of HIV, but can still be a risk for contracting HPV.

Generally, HPV infections are difficult to eradicate completely. Symptomatic treatment for the warts can be with cryotherapy, chemical cauterization, laser, antiviral creams, etc. In persons without any active symptoms or manifestations, no active treatment is required and a wait-and-watch policy can be followed.

Best wishes,

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist

Follow-up: How long it takes to have the symptoms of stis, discomfort in penis or pelvic pain? 53 minutes later
Thanks so much I will get back ti you soon

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 8 hours later
You're welcome. Take care...

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist