How long it takes to get a period and to start ovulating after dectapepty vaccination?

I had a months injection of dectapepty for endometriosis 6 weeks ago now and I am just wondering how long it takes to get a period and to start ovulating again? Also when would you advise is the best time to try for a baby? I had a laparoscopy 13 months ago as well.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

This injection is used to treat endometriosis by shutting down your ovaries. In your case, you implied that this is a monthly injection. Since it is likely wearing off / worn off, you will likely begin a new cycle soon (you may have already). Since you did not get a period to indicate when the cycle started, there is naturally some confusion about where exactly your are. You will have a better sence when you get your next normal period, which might not come until 4-6 weeks after the shot has worn off.

In answer to your question, you will ovulate once before you get your next period (between now and 2 weeks from now, most likely). After you ovulate, it is about 2 weeks after that you will get your first normal period.

In answer to your second question, it would be best to wait for your next normal period and THEN start trying. Count the first day of your period as day#1. Most women then ovulate on day#14. You can time intercourse by having intercourse beginning on day#10 and then every other day.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Please also take time to rate this question!