How long it takes for LFTs to return to normal after quitting drinking?

Apr 2014

Hi, I am a 37 year old femail, I have been a fairly heavy drinker over the years, but not every day.. I am trying to get pregnant but my LFTs were abnormal, ASt was raised and ALT was about 140. I also take regular paracetamol and zopiclone, could this account for it? If I stop drinking altogether how long before by LFTs are likely to return to normal? Many thanks
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can take 6-8 weeks for full recovery. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM Increased ALT indicates liver injury. It is important to know GGT level.It is specific for alcoholic liver injury. You need proper clinical examination and few more investigations. Other investigations include routine hemogram,Random blood sugar(RBS),Renal function test(RFT),Lipid profile,Viral markers,ECG in all leads,Ultrasound of abdomen.Elastography can be done to assess elasticity of liver. Further investigations can be done if needed. First you should stop taking alcohol completely.Level of damage can be assessed by blood investigations and Ultrasonography. You can take tablet Ursodeoxycholic acid 300 mg twice daily after food for three months.It helps in regeneration of damaged liver cells.Further need to continue drug depend upon response. You should be active in your daily routine and go for walking,exercise. Relaxation technique like yoga and meditation is also very helpful. You should take lot of vegetables and fruits in your diet. You should also avoid red meat,high fat milk products,fried and junk food. Use olive or canola oil for cooking. It can take 6-8 weeks weeks for full recovery. Paracetamol causes damage to the liver if taken in large amount.In general the recommended maximum daily dose for healthy adults is 4 grams.Zopiclone doesn't cause liver damage. Don't worry,you will be alright with diet change,exercise and medicines. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow-up: How long it takes for LFTs to return to normal after quitting drinking? 20 minutes later
Thankyou very much for your help. I had the other bloods done and they were all ok. If I abstain from alcohol for 2 months would I be right in saying the alt/ast will have come down? I am concerned about being referred to a hepatologist due to trying to get a mortgage in future, and also that I will be turned down for any fertility help...
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: ALT is expected to be normal in 8 weeks. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back It is good that other investigation reports are normal. It is expected that ALT level will be normal if you completely abstain from alcohol and take medicines. If you wish,you can consult Gastroenterologist. For fertility issue,you need proper gynecological evaluation and investigations.You should also consult your Gynecologist. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX