How long is it safe to wait for decayed molar removal when on alendronate?

I have been on alendronate 75 mg once weekly for 6 months. I stopped this medication 3 weeks ago when my dentist informed me that I need to have 3 molars removed due to decay. I am planning on waiting for as long as I can but can you tell me how long this should be before I have surgery to remove these teeth.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. Although the chances of developing osteonecrosis of jaw following a dental work in people taking alendroate is very less and is rare,but the guidelines suggest that anybody taking the alendroate for less than 3 years can stop the medicine 3-4 weeks prior to the surgery,while a person who has taken alendroate for more than 3 years should discontinue the alendroate 3 months before dental surgery. For you a period of maximum 4 weeks is more than enough to be on safe side. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks