How long does this course of Mala D prevail and what are its side effects?

Mar 2013
Till how long does this course of Mala D tablets prevail and what are its side effects ? Are any of the side effects long lasting ?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us.
Mala D is a type of hormonal pill.
The pills are generally prescribed for contraceptive purposes ( to avoid a pregnancy ), and in this case, they can be taken as long as a woman desires to avoid childbirth.
Other uses for the pills are - to regulate the menstrual cycle if a woman has irregular cycles, to resolve small cysts in the ovaries , to treat severe pain during periods etc
For these indications, they are generally prescribed for 3 - 6 months.
It would help me if you tell me for what indication Mala D has been prescribed, as then I can tell you specifically, how long the course will prevail.
Regarding the side effects, these pills are generally safe and used by a large majority of women.
Minor and common side effects include - nausea, dizziness, bloating sensation, weight gain, decreased menstrual bleeding, mild spotting between periods, headache etc. These are temporary and go away with regular pill use, and are easily treatable.
Patients with a history of jaundice, liver disease, breast lumps, stroke, heart attacks, migraine, diabetes, depression , asthma, smoking etc are cautioned not to use these pills and look for alternatives.
Generally there are no long term effects - there is a link between increased risk of cancer of breast, liver and cervix, however the association is not very strong. Also these generally occur in women who have taken these for years.
Sometimes, skin pigmentation can occur, which can be difficult to treat, and might require long term treatment.
Return to fertility after taking pills is generally immediate, but at times can take upto 3 - 6 months ( because these pills inhibit ovulation and prevent pregnancy ).
Hope this has addressed your concerns.
I would be happy to answer any follow up queries.
If you find the answer satisfactory, kindly close the discussion and rate the answer.