How long does the effects of "Haloperidol IMI"take to wear off?
User rating for this question
Is it possible to give an estimate as to how long it would take for the effects of 0.5 mg of haloperidol IMI to wear off in an elderly, frail patient? Or is this too simplistic a question to be answered?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: 8 to 10 hours, at the most 12 hours. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Considering the physical condition of the patient and the dose of 0.5 mg given intramuscularly, I would expect the effects of haloperidol to completely wear off in around 8 to 10 hours after injection. The main side effects that are likely are sedation and extrapyramidal side effects like increased salivation, tremors etc. If you notice that sedation persists more than 12 hours after the injection, then it would be highly unlikely to be related to haloperidol. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
People also viewed
- Is tiredness and weakness a side effect of haloperidol?
- Side effects of haloperidol
- Symptoms of valproic acid poisoning
- Haloperidol side effects elderly
- Bullous type impetigo causes
- Haloperidol side effects in adult
- Symptoms of heparin poisoning
- Abstinence syndrome causes
- Symptoms of alcoholic polyneuropathy
- Hemorrhagic telangiectasia causes
- Binocular double vision causes
- Haloperidol 5mg side effects
- Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal delirium
- Symptoms of bleach poisoning
- Roseola rash causes