How long does the effects of "Haloperidol IMI"take to wear off?
User rating for this question
Is it possible to give an estimate as to how long it would take for the effects of 0.5 mg of haloperidol IMI to wear off in an elderly, frail patient? Or is this too simplistic a question to be answered?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: 8 to 10 hours, at the most 12 hours. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Considering the physical condition of the patient and the dose of 0.5 mg given intramuscularly, I would expect the effects of haloperidol to completely wear off in around 8 to 10 hours after injection. The main side effects that are likely are sedation and extrapyramidal side effects like increased salivation, tremors etc. If you notice that sedation persists more than 12 hours after the injection, then it would be highly unlikely to be related to haloperidol. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
People also viewed
- How to quit smoking is there any way
- Does taking celebrex cause side effects while quitting smoking
- Have breathlessness due to smoking
- Diagnosis of hereditary elliptocytosis
- Is tiredness and weakness a side effect of haloperidol?
- What could be done to quit chain smoking and alcoholism
- Side effects of haloperidol
- Diagnosis of post-traumatic syringomyelia
- Haloperidol side effects elderly
- Why is my face red and blotchy after drinking alcohol
- Haloperidol side effects in adult
- Diagnosis of recurrent gastroenteritis
- Diagnosis of rotator cuff disorders
- Diagnosis of hyperpituitarism
- Haloperidol 5mg side effects