How long does the effect of Cotinine remain in body and the cut-off level to clear Cotinine test?

I'm not sure if this is the correct specialty to ask this question of.... I'm getting a job at a well known medical facility in Cleveland, Ohio. They check cotinine levels in urine for employment.
I smoked a pack a day for several years up until the last 2 weeks when I cut down to about 10 per day. I completely quit yesterday. How long will it take for cotinine to be low enough for me to pass the test? What is the cut of level for these tests? Thanks for your time!
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Cotinine levels <10 ng/mL are considered to be consistent with no active smoking. Values of 10 ng/mL to 100 ng/mL are associated with light smoking or moderate passive exposure, and levels above 300 ng/mL are seen in heavy smokers - more than 20 cigarettes a day. In urine, values between 11 ng/mL and 30 ng/mL may be associated with light smoking or passive exposure, and levels in active smokers typically reach 500 ng/mL or more.
You need at least two weeks of smoking free period to get a negative test. Also, try to avoid passive smoking at all costs during this time.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.