How long does sperm survive in the male urethra after ejaculation?

Urologist
Question
Hi, How long can sperm from a previous ejaculation survive in the male urethra? Can it survive for 20 hours later and how motile is this sperm if present? I do not remember if I had urinated during these 20 hours. I had some precum leaking out and I rubbed it on a blanket. Now I am afraid if this precum contained any living sperm then if any female had used that blanket then perhaps the sperm can make their way into the vagina.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Men Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Semen containing sperm if dried, dies in seconds Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank You for consulting HealthcareMagic! Semen containing sperm if dried on any surface or clothes or bed sheets will become non viable or dead in few seconds. I personally think that you need not have to worry about what had happened with you and the chances of viable sperm making to the ova of another female in this instance is almost zero. Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future.

Follow-up: How long does sperm survive in the male urethra after ejaculation? 7 hours later
Thank you for your response. I had thought that pre-ejaculatory fluid or precum also contains sperm and that it remains viable or motile for quite some time in air. Is that true? Also when the fluid got deposited on blanket, the blanket would still be slightly wet or damp due to the fluid. Does that not mean that sperm is still alive? Can sperm transfer from one surface (like a blanket) to the vaginal canal and still make its way to the fallopian tubes?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Rare chance Detailed Answer: This kind of chance is very very very rare and had been never been heard in medical literature. Please do not worry about it. Even if it is alive, which itself is very rare- the chances of it traveling to the ovum of woman is not easy at all. Never heard of such instance in medical literature. Theoretically, you may think it may very rarely be possible. But, practically, it has never been reported. Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.