How long does pneumonia treatment take?

Pulmonologist
Question
I had a chest xray a week ago and the said it was a faint pneumonia in the lower left lobe of my lung. I was put on two inhalers, muncinex and doxclycline . I have just started yesterday and today to cough up some yellow phlegm. When a breath deep while lying down I hear a rattle. Should it all be gone by now. Could it be something else. I've never had pneumonia before.
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It will take atleast 3 days for symptomatic relief Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following: 1, It takes atleast 3 days after starting antibiotics to have some symptomatic relief. The full course of antibiotics of 2 weeks is usually required. 2. Your early morning plegm can be sent to lab for examination (gram stain/ culture). Also complete blood count can be done. 3. A repeat chest xray after 2 weeks will be required. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist