How long does it take to reverse melanosis coli after stopping laxatives intake?

Question
1. How long does it take to reverse melanosis coli, if all laxatives are stopped immediately? I am in excellent health otherwise, eat mostly vegetarian, and exercise regularly. 2. Do all laxatives, other than anthranoids, can cause melanosis? 2. Is Magnesium citrate safe for long term use for constipation?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Laxative should not be used for longer duration. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing to us. 1. How long does it take to reverse melanosis coli, if all laxatives are stopped immediately? I am in excellent health otherwise, eat mostly vegetarian, and exercise regularly. If a person stops using anthranoid laxatives, the changes associated with melanosis coli lessen over time and may disappear. May take year or more. Early studies suggested that anthranoid laxatives might have carcinogenic or tumor-promoting activities in humans and that the presence of melanosis coli might signal an increased risk for the development of colorectal cancer. However, more recent follow-up studies have failed to show an association between colon cancer and anthranoid laxative use or between colon cancer and the finding of melanosis coli. Regular follow up required. 2. Do all laxatives, other than anthranoids, can cause melanosis? Melanosis coli usually results from chronic use of laxatives of the anthranoid group. Some examples of anthranoid laxatives are senna and rhubarb derivatives. Not seen with other types of laxatives. 3. Is Magnesium citrate safe for long term use for constipation? Prolonged use or in doses that too high of laxative do has side effect: slow/irregular heartbeat, mental/mood changes (e.g., confusion, unusual drowsiness), muscle weakness, persistent diarrhea.Persistent diarrhea may result in a serious loss of body water (dehydration). Laxative should used only for acute condition, not regularly. Diet changes and regular exercises help to regularize your bowel movements. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. Regards

Follow-up: How long does it take to reverse melanosis coli after stopping laxatives intake? 16 minutes later
What is a "too high" dosage of magnesium? Doesn't the body excretes excess magnesium? Is cascara sagrada as bad as Senna or rubarb?

Answered by Dr. Lohit K 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Usual dose 240ml per day Detailed Answer: Hi, Usual adult dose is 240ml orally one time. Dose more than this results in side effects. Yes, well functioning kidney's excrete magnesium, But before that magnesium level increases in blood affecting heart and electrolyte abnormality. Chronic use of laxatives may lead to laxative dependency, which may result in fluid and electrolyte imbalances, steatorrhea, osteomalacia and vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Any laxative on chronic use causes dependency and electrolyte abnormality. I usually don't prescribe any laxative for more than 10 days. cascara and senna both are simulatory laxative. Have same effect Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. Please close query and rate it. Regards