How long does it take to expel swallowed barium sulphate from the body?

General Surgeon
Hi could you please tell me how quickly a barium sulphate swallowed by mouth (two 450 ml bottles) takes to be expelled from the body please?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Approximately 16- 48 hours

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Barium sulphate swallowed by mouth takes the same time to be expelled from the gastrointestinal tract as the gastrointestinal transit time for the normal semi liquid food that is approximately between 16 to 48 hours. It also depends on the consistency of the barium used. Thick consistency barium may take longer to be excreted, because of some amount of retention due to adherence to bowel wall in rectum. Also there may be variation from person to person depending on state of motility and other co-morbid condition.

I hope i have answered your query.
If you need further clarification kindly get back to me.

Have a wonderful day

Take Care

Dr Deepak
Consultant Surgeon