How long does it take to come out of withdrawal symptoms from Ritalin?

How long does it typically take to no longer have depression issues when you come off ritalin? I was on 60 to 80 mg for 4 years. when I get off of them it seems like depression comes fast and will never go away. It feels like I can't be happy now without it.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
2 to 3 weeks

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Based on my experience with patients having Ritalin withdrawal symptoms(depression), it takes them 2 to 3 weeks to no longer have depression symptoms. You can be happy without Ritalin.
During withdrawal, I recommend my patients to have intensive counseling from professional counselors, avoid stressful activities, have relaxation exercises, for example deep breathing exercise, so that they can over come depression.

In addition I encourage them to do yoga and eat food like valerian root.
If these is done, you will be happy without Ritalin. But it needs a lot of commitment from your side and supportive care from friends and doctor.

Hope I answered your question, let me know if you need any clarifications.