How long does it take to bring down Udiliv dosage during pregnancy?

Question
HELLO DOCTOR MY WIFE IS 15MOTHNS PREGNANT .LAST WEEK SHE STARTED GETTING ITCHING ALL OVER THE BODY. LFT WAS DONE ANS SGPT AND SGOT LEVELS WERE FOUND 280 AND 300. DOCTOR ADVISED UDILIV DOSE TWICE A DAY. HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO REDUCE LEVELS AND WHETHER IT IS SAFE FOR PREGNANCY
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cholestasis of pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. I assume that your wife is 15 weeks (not Months) pregnant. Based on the symptoms and raised SGPT and SGOT levels, she is suffering from Cholestasis of pregnancy(jaundice of pregnancy). The term "cholestasis" refers to any condition in which the flow of bile, a digestive fluid from the liver, slows or stops. Pregnancy is one of many possible causes of cholestasis. The cause of cholestasis of pregnancy is unknown. However, the condition may be related to pregnancy hormones. Udiliv enhances the clearance of bile and thus help in reducing level of liver enzymes. It is medicine of choice in pregnancy for this condition. It is difficult to say at this time about the time period of treatment. Your doctor may advise you for repeat LFT after 1 or 2 weeks. Based on that report it can be said how long she require Udiliv (Most probably for whole of pregnancy period). Blood test to determine clotting factors may be required later. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: How long does it take to bring down Udiliv dosage during pregnancy? 18 hours later
Is this ndition safe for the baby? What precautions and diet needs to be taken care of

Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It is a risk for baby Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up. Cholestasis of pregnancy presents greater risk to the fetus than to the mother. It increases rate of preterm delivery. Even there is increased risk of still birth. This is why she should be monitored by her treating doctor and monitoring will increase in third trimester. Delivery need to be done at 37-38 weeks when lungs of baby has developed. The major concern for the mother is for postpartum hemorrhage if her vitamin K level is low. Light and nutritious diet have to be taken. Avoid spicy and fatty diet. Frequent Antenatal visit is advised. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish her good health.