How long does it take for the follicle to rupture after being ready to ovulate ?

My scan showed I was ready to ovulate on Tuesday morning. It's now Friday evening. Will the follicle definitely ruptured by now? It's day 16 today.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Follow-up: How long does it take for the follicle to rupture after being ready to ovulate ? 4 minutes later
I am using a clearblue fertitility monitor which has shown high fertility for quite a few days but not peaked. I also use clearblue ovulation sticks but have had no positive result. Could this be because of the clomid or is it possible my follicles haven't ruptured?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Clearblue ovulation sticks and fertility monitor are more reliable and accurate in predicting the ovulation as compared to an ultrasound scan.
A fully grown grown mature follicle on an ultrasound does not necessarily mean that it will definitely rupture and a healthy ovum will be released. To rupture a mature follicle sometimes we need to give injections.

The ovulation sticks indicate the level of LH in our body and an LH surge is diagnostic of ovulation.
So, if ovulation sticks are not showing the positive result it means ovulation has not occurred yet.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: How long does it take for the follicle to rupture after being ready to ovulate ? 5 hours later
How long might it take for a follicle to rupture from showing a good and ready size? In the past few cycles with clomid I have had a period on day 27. It's day 17 today so I'm just wondering if it's possible for it still to rupture from showing maturity on day 13.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

It is not necessary that the follicle seen on day 13 would have remained like that till now. It can regress on its own without rupturing or ovulation.

Without an LH surge , the follicles do not rupture.

This cycle is most likely an anovulatory cycle.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.