How long does it take for the clarithromycin to stop swelling and pain?

I went to hospital yesterday morning and got a prescription for clarithromycin. how long will it take to stop the swelling and pain?
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Signs of improvement: 1-2 days; relief: 5-10 days Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. If a prescription of clarithromycin was given after making an established diagnosis of an infection, then all the symptoms that you are experiencing should and would be related to the infection. The antibiotic should take about 24-48 hours to start taking effect and showing signs of improvement. Although complete recovery may take about 5-10 days, depending on the type of infection and severity. It would also have been advisable to add pain management medication and anti-inflammatory medication to your regimen to take care of these troubling symptoms. Both these effects can be achieved with the help of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory group of drugs (NSAIDs). Please discuss the same with your doctor. I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Follow-up: How long does it take for the clarithromycin to stop swelling and pain? 49 minutes later
as the doctor didn't tell me what was wrong, is it possible that they could have been wrong about the infection? is it possible I have mumps?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unable to comment without information sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. I am unaware of your presenting symptoms or any other details about your medical history or personal history, so it would be difficult to comment on whether or not this is mumps or any other infection sir. But, if you wish you could either write back to me about a detailed history of your presentation and any or all investigation reports that were conducted at the hospital, or you could discuss your diagnosis and reports in detail with your treating doctor. I shall be more than happy to help you with a possible or suspected diagnosis based on that information sir. I hope you understand how it is difficult for me to comment without any information sir. Looking forward to your reply. Best wishes.
Follow-up: How long does it take for the clarithromycin to stop swelling and pain? 1 hour later
well I think the medication is working because it doesn't hurt to swallow anymore. but my neck and jaw are still just as swollen as before. I will wait to see how things go in the next 24 hours. how long should I wait to go back to the doctors for the swelling?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Great news. Details enclosed sir Detailed Answer: Hi sir. I am guessing you have an upper respiratory tract infection. It is good to know that you are experiencing a response. Do wait for another 2-3 days and only then return to the doctors if you wish to report for an early follow-up or for non-compliance of the prescription. But if the medication is working well, then return to the doctors only a day before the last dose. Hope this helps you sir. Wishing you a speedy and effective recovery. Best wishes.