Ask a Urologist   »  

How long does it take for irritation in the ureter and bladder to heal after passing a kidney stone?

How long does it take for irritation in the ureter and bladder to heal after a kidney stone? Since passing the stone which I believe was 5 days ago, I still have the urge to want to urinate periodically (Bladder Spasm). I had an ultrasound done 3 days ago and there is no sign of any blockage or stones.
Do you have any advice to help heal the bladder and ureter?
Anything natural?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 3 hours later

It is good to hear that your followup scan is normal. However, there is always a possibility that the stone may be still around and you have not passed it out. A large number of times the stone is still around with normal ultrasound scan.

However, since you believe that you have passed the stone I shall advise you to have plenty of lemon water without salt, cranberry juice and oranges everyday. This shall take care of your symptoms. However, if your symptoms persist beyond one week then you need to be investigated with urine examination and NCCT KUB.

Hope I answered your query completely.
Follow-up: How long does it take for irritation in the ureter and bladder to heal after passing a kidney stone? 1 hour later
It is hard to say if I passed it or not. I had a burning sensation when urinating one time. I did not see anything in the toilet bowl. I will continue to have plenty of cranberry juice etc...
How is IC treated?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

First things first. You don't have IC; don't trouble yourself about it and unnecessarily get stressed.

Continue the dietary modifications as mentioned and if symptoms still persist beyond 5 days get yourself investigated with NCCT KUB.

Hope I have answered all your queries.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any more queries.