How long does it take for clarithromycin to eliminate from body?

How long does it take for clarithromycin to leave your system? Also I have been taking this drug and Lansoprazole for 6 days of a 7 day course and I am having a lot of stomach pain, headache and my lips now feel swollen. Should I take any more?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The half life of a drug is the time it takes for the amount of drug in the system to decrease by half.This influences how quickly any medication is eliminated from the body.The half life of clarithromycin is 3 to 4 hrs with the 250 mg dose but can increase to 5 to 7 hrs with the 500mg dose.This means by 24 hrs the drug should be completely eliminated.
The most common side effects of clarithromycin are gastrointestinal such as the stomach pain that you are experiencing, other possible side effects do include headache and facial swelling.

Since you may be experiencing side effects of the medication and have almost completed the course, you may want to consider speaking to your doctor to find out if you can stop the medication (this will likely be the best option).
He or she will most likely say that it is ok to discontinue but it would be best that they are informed of the problems that you are experiencing with the drug before stopping it.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions